Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Openly Punctuating

In English last week we worked on the weird and wacky punctuation marks that will come up in our paper writing. Mr. Sitze, a well-known advocate of the weird and wacky, had four groups created, each of which was to learn about, and present the information on one of the four punctuation marks. As previously stated, we learned about for punctuation marks: the colon, the semicolon, the hyphen, and the dash. For over forty-seven minutes we gave or listened to presentations and learned about these words. My relationship with these particular grammar terms has not always been a happy one; I have lost points on many assignments due to improperly using these. The colon especially I have always been scared to use~ in last years paper over theme analysis there was a place I needed to use a list on, and out of fear I simply made a new sentence to avoid missing points. I sincerely hope my relationship will improve this year; I feel I learned quite a bit from the presentations, and hope I have a chance to incorporate these into writing. I think my peers did a very good job, especially in the presentation on hyphens: Dylan and Gage did a very good job with the examples, and had more to say, but cut it short to save time. I hope from these presentations I will be able to far more effectively use the four punctuation marks~ the colon, the dash, the semicolon, and the hyphen.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done, Kaden. I see that you've used the marks correctly multiple times! There's one typographical note about the dash, however, that I'll draw your attention to. You were using the "~" to stand in for dash. Modern Language Association (MLA) doesn't like that; in fact, they're standing behind me right now forcing me to write this, word for word, as they growl. Instead, they'd like you to use "--" as a dash. In Word, the "--" will fuse together automatically and create a dash. Remember to put a space before and after that mark.

    (Save me. They're still here.)

    MLA forever! Long live MLA!

    (Help!)

    ReplyDelete